Monday, October 13, 2014

Can't Get Enough of that Classic Pink and Green

What girl doesn't love Lilly? Her prints, synonymous with Palm Beach prep, are always fun, cheerful and imaginative. Living in an apartment means no wall painting so I needed colorful artwork to brighten up the otherwise boring white walls. Lilly was the answer! I picked three of my favorite Lilly prints that I felt would tie all of the colors in my room together - from the coral bedding to the blue and green leopard chairs to the turquoise throw blankets - no easy task I assure you! 

These are the three that I ended up with:


                                    Later Gator                                     Dessert Tort                                   Prince Charming

                                                 

I bought three ugly canvas prints from TJ Maxx ($5 each on clearance! new canvases can get pricey) and primed over them with your basic white primer.

Next, I blew up the prints and scaled them to my canvases. Obviously, the more you enlarge the print the less detailed you will make it - for better or worse. I started with Dessert Tort, my easiest print.

With graphite paper, I transferred the images to the canvases. You can see the outline in the pictures below.

To make them fit together a bit better I used roughly the same paint palate and changed some of the colors from the original prints. I used the regular craft store acrylic paints (about 2oz bottles) that you can find anywhere in just about any color.

Let the paint by numbers commence...


 






    





        I ended up going over the dark green once more to make it more opaque. You can see how big of a difference the second coat makes below, particularly on the tortoises.





This (Dessert Tort) was the first one that I did and after completing the other two I felt that I needed some blue to help tie them all together. I ended up tweaking all of the designs to help them mesh better and incorporate the colors I wanted from my room. 



 


 A second coat of dark green really did the trick.


 I know that this may seem like a big project and it was but I just did a little everyday. You can only study so long, right? I considered it art therapy to wind down from the day and would pop in a movie or have a glass of wine as I painted. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Thanks for visiting and be sure to subscribe to see future post and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment