Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sip Your Way Through Europe


Happy Winesday Wednesday as my Tri-Delta sister Hoda would say! 


Don't you love decorated wine glasses? The problem is that either they cost a small fortune or there's a glass or two you don't like or you can't find a whole set. But no worries! With a steady hand and some time and patience you can make your dream glasses yourself!

You can get any kind of glasses you like - tumbers, stemless, hardballs, etc. You can find the ones I have here at IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30015123/) for less than $5 for 6 glasses!


First step: Find some fun artwork - but be mindful of detail!  If you do a google image search you can filter your results by just clipart or line drawings. I knew that I wanted European landmarks so I tried to find designs that were similar for all of the landmarks. 

Here are the designs I used and some others that I found that I may be using for a project in the future:











 








Anyways... after you have found your images scale them so that they are all about the same size and will fit on the glasses of your choice. Keep in mind that if you paint two sides of the glass you may want to flip the image to it's mirror image so it is "right" when you look from the "front". If you want to put text on your glasses like it did then find a font and type out whatever you want your glasses to say. 

Next step: take your printed out images/text and tape them to the *inside* of the glasses so that the images are facing outward.  

Now it's time to paint!!! I used *Pebeo Porcelaine 150* but you could probably use any paint intended for glass. This brand is sold at Micheals, Dick Blick and other chain craft/art stores. As you can see, it comes in a number of fun colors so go wild if you are more adventurous than me! I went with basic black.


You just trace over the design you have taped to the inside on the outside surface of the glass.  When I started painting I used a very fine paintbrush but because I was a bit ambitious with my designs I later switched to "painting" with a toothpick which gave me more control. Another advantage of the toothpick is that this this paint is thin (think stained glass) and I found that it was easier to put the paint on thicker (and thereby not having to do a second coat!) with this method. 

That's pretty much it! So pop in a good movie (preferably a long one that you've seen so many times you don't actually need to watch it to know what's going on - cue Bridget Jones Diary, Pride and Prejudice (the real 6hr BBC version), etc) and get to it!

To protect your hard work I would suggest baking your glasses as directed on the back of the paint container. Even after baking, I would still suggest hand washing them - I would probably shed more than one tear if I opened the dishwasher to find naked glasses. 

Final Step: Drink up! That's an order! Enjoy the fruits of thy labor. Mmmm... 7 Deadly Zins, a good Cab or a refreshing Reisling would be great! The men in your life are likely not to appreciate your handiwork so much as your girlfriends so why not have a girls night in with girly sangia or cocktails! Cheers and bottoms up!

Here is my Pinterest Board of delicious drink recipes: 
http://www.pinterest.com/katiekenneweg/bottoms-up/



Spain (Aqueducts)     England (Big Ben)     Russia (Kremlin)     France (Tour d'Eiffel)     Greece (Parthenon)     Italy (Tower of Pisa).

Thanks for visiting and be sure to subscribe to see future post and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment