Thursday, November 6, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside! Crocheted Infinity Scarf


I'm a summer girl through and through but living north of the Mason Dixon means that I can't escape the snow. The best thing I can do is dress warmly (quite a challenge during last year's polar vortex and record snow fall) and hope that Punxsutawney Phil declares a short winter. Speaking of last winter, I had a lot of time where I didn't want to brave the sub-zero temps which left me lots time for girls nights, movie nights and crafts.


That brings me to today's post: The Fast & Easy Infinity Scarf.  This a super easy project, even if you are new to crocheting, and will only take an hour or two. It makes a great quick and inexpensive present (it only costs about $5 for the yarn - Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Joann all have good selection) and what girl (or guy) doesn't love a scarf in the dead of winter to protect what their parka won't cover?


So let's get to work!

You will need to pick up a "bulky" weight size 5 yarn (this one is really soft and has nice depth) and a size M or N crochet hook. On subsequent scarves I used other brands but tried to stick with size 4 or 5 and the same or longer yardage. One of the things to remember as you do this is to keep your stitches loose! For this pattern you will work in rounds. You may have to do one less row/round depending on how long your yarn is, or you can make a wider scarf by using a skein and a half. 

Here is the pattern (click the stitches to see how-to videos):

~ The first Chain 2 or Chain 3 of each round counts as the first stitch

~  Round 1: Loosely Chain 78 & Join chain with slip stitch

~  Round 2: Chain 2, half double crochet in next chain and each chain after all the way around. Join with a slip stitch to the first stitch of the round. 

~  Round 3: Chain 3, double crochet in the next stitch and each chain after all the way around. Join with a slip stitch to the first stitich of the round. 

~  Rounds 4-9: Repeat Round 2.

~  Round 10: Chain 2, half double crochet in each stitch all the way around.

~  Finish off and weave ends in to hide tails

Here you can see the difference between using a skein (grey) and 1.5 skeins (purple). The wider and looser you want your scarf to be the more yarn you will need.




This was my first crochet project in a few years so I had to Youtube how to do the stitches again but this is a really easy pattern for beginners because there are very few different stitches required for this project.

I ended up making like five or so of these as Christmas presents, for my family and myself last Christmas break while watching Ally McBeal (I know, I'm about 2 decades behind the ball here, but it's great!)

Thanks so much for reading and please subscribe for updates on future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment