Sunday, November 16, 2014

Flea Market Finds: Magazine Rack

I love magazines but I have this bad habit of getting behind and letting them build up. Do you have this problem too? There just don's seem to be enough hours in the day! This post is in celebration of being done with my 10 weeks of my surgery clerkship. Now that I'm in my third year of med school I am in the clinics/hospital full-time (40-80hrs/wk) and then I have to go home and study and prepare for the next day so I am ready to be pimped (med school lingo for attending physicians drilling you with questions to make sure you have read the appropriate journals, books, etc.) This leaves little time to read about the latest celebrity gossip, check out the fashion "Do's and Don'ts," let alone actual magazine articles. My pile was getting quite large so I decided to do something about it. I had seen something like this on Pinterest before so I can't claim to have originated this idea. 

I had been keeping my eye out for a fun shutter for this project but hadn't found anything yet. Then my mom went to the Springfield Flea Extravaganza and found this salon-style swinging shutter door for $5! She's the best! 

I forgot to take a before picture but it looked something like this but with a worn varnish instead of paint:

I sanded it down to a even surface and sawed out every other slat with a small hand saw. I then painted it with primer followed by two coats of paint. And that's it! Just make sure to let it cure for a few days so that the print from the magazines doesn't transfer to the rack. Just slide in some magazines and Voila!

Here's the final product:


Thanks for visiting and be sure to subscribe to see future post and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment