Thursday, November 20, 2014

On ne voit bien qu'evec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

When you have a big white wall like I do that you can't paint, what's a girl to do? Big art - that's what! When I was at Michael's craft store the other day I spotted a large canvas in the clearance area. The catch - it had a giant zebra head on it. Apparently this was appealing to some, as was evidenced by the women who fawned over it when I was taking it out to my car, but it wasn't really by style and didn't go with the french theme I have going on in my living room. 

This project starts as almost all of mine do - with primer. I primed the canvas (front and sides). You could probably skip the primer if your base spray paint is darker but since mine was silver I wanted to make sure nothing showed through. 


Then I picked out one of my favorite quotes from the French book Le Petite Prince. I used a Xylon cutter to cut out my letters in the font I wanted, though you could probably go to any scrapbooking store and use their die-cuts. Or, if you have a lot of patience, you could print them off the computer and cut them out. I would suggest using a card stock thickness so that the edges don't peel upwards with they get wet with your second coat of paint. I then used Krylon Easy-Tack (a semipermanent / repositionable adhesive) to place the letters. I am a bit OCD so I used masking tape to help keep things level.  If you're going to go something, you should do it right, right?


Then it was time for the second coat of spray paint. I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Satin but you can use anything! Some brands tend to have more variety in color selection. I wanted to keep the sides silver so I used masking tape to protect them. 


I peeled off the letters and masking tape and c'est fini!


"One can only see clearly with the heart. Everything essential is invisible to the eyes."

Thanks for visiting and be sure to subscribe to see future post and projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment